Caring For Your Pets During Cold Winter MonthsBy
When the weather is chilly, take a few minutes to think about your furry friends.
Here are some tips to care for your pets in cold weather.
- Keep your cat indoors during cold weather, as it is very possible he or she could freeze if left outside.
- In the winter time, outdoor cats often sleep under the hoods of cars. So, before you start your car, be sure to make a loud noise near the hood, to give a cat the opportunity to escape.
- Always keep tags on your dogs, and never let them off the leash in the winter time. Dogs have a more difficult time tracking scents in the winter time, especially in snow. They can get lost more easily.
- Make sure to wipe your pet’s paws when they come indoors after walking in snow or ice. If they lick their paws, they could potentially ingest harmful chemicals such as: antifreeze and salts used on icy roads.
- Keep your dog bundled up during the winter months. Never shave your long haired dog during the winter. Consider putting your short haired dog in a warm sweater for the winter.
- Be sure to dry your pet completely after baths if you plan to take them for a walk. Never let them walk outside in the cold with a wet coat.
- Don’t ever leave your pet in your car alone in cold weather. During the winter months, your car traps in cold air and pets could potentially freeze to death.
- Some pets are sensitive to cold weather because of their age, breed, or illnesses they may have. During the cold months, limit your sensitive pet’s exposure to the weather by keeping them indoors with the exception of potty breaks.
- For dogs who are very active outside during the winter months, pet owners should be sure to increase their food supply, particularly their protein consumption.
- Provide a warm, safe place for your pets to sleep in the winter time such as a soft dog bed and blanket.
Information provided by ASPCA website. For more information on this topic and many others, please visit www.aspca.org.
Dog Walking, Pet Sitting
TLC House & Pet Sitting Service